Life on the Open Road (April 2006 - May 2008)

The continuing saga of a single fulltime RVer who travels the western US. This is part one of my journey, from April 2006, when the blog started, to May 2008, when the blog continues at www.lifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com

My Photo
Name:

I have been a full-time RVer for 20 years, primarily "boondocking," camping free without hookups, in the Western US. My batteries are charged solely by solar panels. I welcome your comments and emails. I also make trips to other countries, although not usually with the RV.

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Quantum Leap in Quilting

Saturday was the big Outdoor Quilt Show in Sisters, OR, the biggest in the country. We thought we got an early start, but there was a 4-mile traffic backup getting into town.

Even the cowboys were headed to the Quilt Show!

Finally! Over 1200 quilts were on display.

And over 20,000 quilt enthusiasts overran the town.

Here's the quantum leap--quilts are no longer squares like your Grandma did. They're now beautiful, intricate pictures. This one attracted a huge crowd and had a price tag over $10,000!

Sisters' version of a Dollar Store??

Randy had an "incident" that moved him to poetry:

Randy at the Quilt Show

Oh, did I shine brightly
At the Quilt Show down in Sisters;
Thousands of middle age ladies,
Only a handful of misters.

Yes! I’m that rare breed of male,
Secure in masculinity;
Can swim with lady fishes,
At ease with femininity.

And I was admired by the ladies;
I saw them glance and sigh
At this mighty macho man,
This strong, but gentle, guy.

So I strutted about the Quilt Show,
Spreading charm and winks–
A stud horse ‘mongst the fillies,
A man among the minx.

I was sailing my ego ship
Till suddenly the ladies sank it.
I made a tiny faux pas:
I called a quilt a blanket!

What?!? They said in unison,
Their smiles turned upside down.
“That’s an unforgivable sin!”
They suggested I leave town.

“A blanket’s for comfort,” they said,
“A quilt’s a work of art.
You crude man, they’re as different
As a kiss is from a fart.”

My cup of shame was full;
I shuffled away and drank it.
A lesson so painfully learned:
Don't call a quilt a blanket!

5 Comments:

Blogger Desert Diva said...

While I'm not a quilter, I'm sure the Quilt Show was quite a sight! I can certainly identify with Randy's new poetry. I kept making the mistake of calling a kayak a "canoe." Actually that's correct since a kayak is a type of canoe - but don't tell the majority of WIN's that!

It's overcast with soft rain on the coast today - but still nice...

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Randy I liked the poem. Thanks for the laugh!

8:51 PM  
Blogger owner said...

Randy, I am a quilter. But I loved your poem anyway
Donna

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Randy has quite a gift with words! A very well-told tale, the way he builds it up, and entertaining too. As always I love your photos... especially the one of the cowboys coming into town, it's just breathtaking. The horses are sculpture (is that still the right word if they're 2-D?) but the mountains are real, right?

3:05 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Yup, the mountains are definitely real. Those are the Three Sisters: South, Middle and North. They were originally named Faith, Hope and Charity.

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home